Browsing all articles from April, 2015.
Aging, Acting and Identity: International Filmmaker Olivier Assayas Ruminates on Celebrity, Self-Reflection in Haunting Clouds of Sils Maria
Olivier Assayas, the prolific French screenwriter, director and film critic whose movies include the stylish film-within-a-film Irma Vep (1996), the prophetic global business shocker Demonlover (2002), the bittersweet family drama Summer Hours (2008) and the large-scale Venezuelan terrorist thriller Carlos (2010), is nothing if not daring and diverse, a latter-day New Wave heir and director […]
* * * Oliver Assays’ Clouds of Sils Maria is an opaque conceptual trip, a thematically dense exercise in self and industry reflections, a nod to both Fassbinder and Bergman and a showcase for its actresses, namely Juliette Binoche as an internationally renown actress undergoing an identity crisis and Kristen Stewart as her loyal assistant. […]
* * 1/2 The creepy teen cyber thriller Unfriended is patently ludicrous and low-concept—six teens connected via video chat are stalked and dispatched by an Internet troll that turns out to be the vengeful ghost of their bullied best friend, who killed herself over their online taunting. We know this—a year ago, put-upon Fresno junior […]
* * * * Smart, stylish and enthralling, the artificial intelligence thriller Ex Machina fires on all cylinders as a first-rate piece of science fiction, superbly written, performed and mounted as the debut feature from screenwriter and first-time director Alex Garland. As science fiction, it employs some hard science and plausible fiction with some thoughtful […]
* * * 1/2 Where are you in life versus where you thought you would be? Or perhaps where the world says you are supposed to be? Noah Baumbach’s refreshing While We’re Young is an Allen-esque, sidewalks of New York comedy, but one that sparkles with insights all its own on growing up and apart, […]
* * Good intentions do not a good movie make, and the well-meaning Desert Dancer, the true story of Iran’s Afshin Ghaffarian, who challenged his country’s ban on dancing by forming a clandestine dance troupe before being beaten down by Iran’s political climate and eventually escaping to Europe, is one chore of a picture […]